Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mi Neuvo Casa

I have just finished eating lunch with a doctoral engineering student who lives in my house. My mind is so swimming with Spanish that I am translating all simple sentences that I write. This student is from Ecuador and speaks only spanish. I have been coaxing her to speak with me, though I usually have to ask her to repeat everything. The matriarch of the house is Susana and she speaks only Spanish as well. They have both offered, in English, that they don't speak very well. It is a surprisingly nice to hear. A reminder to me that we all struggle with new languages and that any effort is appreciated.
 I met with Susana two days ago to see the house, chat and negotiate a price. I was able to reduce the cost from $340 to $320 to $300 which I think we are both happy with. The apartment is 40 minutes by subway from my school in San Telmo.. The majority of the trip is done on an older subway line, with all wood interior to the cars and manual doors.
Today I will go to a gym close to my house and work out in walking shoes. Then head to a cinema for either an English movie with subtitles or an Argentinian film  'El Secreto de Sus Ojos' The Secret of Their Eyes which is nominated for an oscar.
I am amazed by the ups and downs of this trip. Today I am in a virtually identical situation to yesterday, yet today I am elated and yesterday I truly felt awful. Such has been my first week in Buenos Aires. I move from great enthusiasm to near despair from day to day. Yesterday in particular I had to remind myself of the first week in Botswana, with no real kitchen, uncertain living conditions and a huge cultural divide. I have more than I need here and have many options for the future. There is nothing concrete to be concerned about, only temporary feelings of loneliness and the language barrier which is breaking down each day.
So life will continue normally for the next few weeks as I go to school.
A few stories of note:

A Syrian friend of mine from class was entrapped last night by two prostitutes. He was coerced into a bar and was able to leave only after 'buying' drinks for everyone involved, which took all the money he had. He is gay, seems streetwise and was very unhappy about what transpired. The only aggression I have seen by people on the street is from two guys, on individual occassions, were passing out cards. As soon as I accepted a card, which I think was for a strip club or brothel, they each harassed me to come to the club. I am careful what flyers I accept now.
The subways run well and are similar in feel to Montreal. There are street children who sit on floors, very dirty and often without shoes. There are vendors who hand out merchandise (keychains, stickers, pirated movies) to half a car, returning shortly after to collect whatever people to not pay for. It is fun and effective way to sell.
I ran into a friend of mine from McGill while in the bathroom of a concert. We confused everyone around with our English yelling and big man hug. Truly unbelievable.

*Note about the picture* There is a strong police presence around Argentina. I include this picture only because I got in some trouble for taking it, making it more bad ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment