Tuesday, November 10, 2009

La primera noche

I safely arrived in Buenos Aires and had someone waiting at the airport with my name on a card.  It was a expensive relief and I tried out my spanish with my driver Pepe. We had a confusing but pleasant interaction on the way into the downtown.
On the way into Buenos Aires, there was a sea of dirty, apartment buildings. As the highway continued so did the buildings and the occasional soccer field. I arrived in the barrio de San Telmo which has some of the oldest architecture in the city. It looks and feels like a slightly delapated European city. The intricacy and style of the buildings is beautiful. The people look European and there is some diversity. There are many people I would consider gringos though I know I appear different than they do.
At the Sandanzas hostel, everyone was speaking French. My french help up well for brief conversations and an explanation of what everyone was doing. I find it difficult and unpleasant to switch between French and Spanish (and English). I truely do not want to speak any more French, my mind becomes muddled and my internal dialogue is confused on what language to get by in.
We all were drinking beer from litre bottles and despite my lack of sleep the previous night, I joined the French crew for the night. There was an 37 year old irishmen who came as well; we have been English crutches for one another. We took a bus for around 15 min, then got off and walked in circles. The picture which is in the heading of my blog....we walked across that exact spot twice. The concert was a Brazilian drum group and they were excellent. I had some of the most carefree dancing I have had in a long time. The crowd was young, attractive and lively.
I attended my first Spanish class today. I love it but it's tiring. I am able to speak and understand much more Spanish than I would have thought. I have received many compliments on my Spanish based on the short time I have been speaking it.  So I take this a positive sign, moreover that Michel Thomas audiotapes taught me some basics effectively.
I need to get to a homestay and turn the English and French parts of my brain off. I think if I can spend the whole day in Spanish it will be much, much better than attending classes and falling back to English.

Buenos Aires feels safe, is very unique and large. The next month will be great. After a nap and homework,  I'll get out exploring again.
Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment