I headed to Montevideo, Uruguay with the sole intention of meeting people to go surfing with. Uruguay is a huge summer destination for Argentinians. The preferred method of travel is ferry from downtown BA to Colonia.
I had dinner with a young guy from the West Indies, he complains that people constantly mistake him for being Brazilian. He says this while wearing a Brazilian soccer jersey/ We met in the hostel and went through the normal exchange of figuring out what languages we both speak. He speaks French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Creol and some English. So we settle on Spanish and head out to the supermercado. We can't find it. An asian convienence store owner tried to convince us her store was the supermarket, but I'm 70% sure she was lying. It was cramped, tiny and dusty, the only real food was pasta.
When we return to the hostel, I start talking to a group whose nationalities are a variety of commonwealth countries. Within an hour, I've made plans to go to a beach destination with the group in the morning.
At this hostel as well, I met a South African family. A mother with two beautiful daughters with beautiful names, Khiyara and Ayesha. They are from Capetown and fiercely proud of their hometown. I was at the same Oasis concert in Capetown with Khiyara earlier this year. Through some good luck but mostly bad luck, I spent sometime with this family over 4 days.
The first bit of bad luck was for them, that they hated a different hostel they went too.
The second bit of bad luck was mine, missing a bus twice and losing all opportunity to leave Punta del Este yesterday.
My good luck is that they consoled and provided dinner for me. I felt very comfortable with them and enjoyed intelligent conversation above all else.
There was a rampant commonwealth party that occurred as well. I was reamed out by another South African for saying that I felt on edge in Johannesburg. We both had valid points, though her points were made more forcefully.
In my travel, people were very friendly and helpful with directions. I find it very gratifying to travel alone when things go well. Even small things like transfers feel like big successes. The Spanish you use is the base communication but it is damn important practice.
I went boogie-boarding fairly unsuccessfully. Tomorrow I'm getting up early to surf and biting the bullet to just rent a hostel board.
Good to know you are enjoying yourself. You seem to pick the great beaches in December (remembering our good times a year ago). All well in London--hitting the shops with your sister today for some Christmas shopping.
ReplyDelete