Wednesday, December 23, 2009



The house in Pucon was infested with young male kayakers. In every dark corner there was empty garbage and food. In the darkest corners, some tired soul would be napping.

The house, which was meant to be cozily inhabited by 5, had accomodated to 12 by the evening I left.
This meant a continual flow of paddler's through the living room, a barely usuable kitchen and broken toilet.

What firmly united everyone was the desire to paddle difficult and fun rivers around Pucon.
For lack of gear, infected ear and my own inclination towards safety, I only paddled one day around Pucon.
Jackson, Alex Davies and I met two Americans to paddle the Maichin River. I hastily borrowed the $1500 worth of gear needed and we left at 6:00 p.m.

The area around Pucon quickly became rural and then refreshingly natural. It is lush, rocky, moist and green. The landscape hides the many waterfalls and creeks which draw these crazy kayakers.
Upon arrival we geared up with dry suits, helmets, elbow pads, rescue belts and more. I was asked about my creeking experience which was virtually nil.

As I've been told and would soon discover, creeking is a different beast. For those with me, I was a straight forward run.
My description of this run would have to include big boulders, limited opportunities for scouting and some large continous sets.
There were several class 4 sections but nothing most Canadian paddlers would call class 5.

I flipped over more than 5 times but was always able to roll up. A lot of adreneline, but no swim, no lost or broken gear.
I felt elated, redeemed and relieved at the end of the 2 hour run.
I know as well that the level of whitewater in Pucon in out of my league for now. These guys are running 70 foot waterfalls.

Jackson was ready to leave Pucon when I arrived. Something about the lifestyle in Pucon and the inauthentic feel of the city made him ready to leave. So we have left and are less than halfway to the bottom of South America.
So we sit, drinking Pisco in a campsite, in slow transit for our 30 hour bus ride tomorrow.
In a few days, ideally for Christmas, we will hiking in Torres del Paine. It is the most popular National Park in South America which is amazing considering it's isolation. We hope it is worth the trip and will be celebrating with potatoes and gravy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment